Sturt Arcade Hotel, Grenfell Street, 1990


Photo taken 01 January 1990

B 70869/18617 Messenger Press, photographer Established in 1837 as Fordham's Hotel, became the Sturt Hotel in 1845 and the Sturt Arcade from 1886 until its closure in the early 1990s. On the northern side of Grenfell Street and the western corner of Arcade Lane. The building no longer exists. It had been in the Whallin family since 1924. Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia. The hotel in 1924: www.flickr.com/photos/state_library_south_australia/15532... : and in 1937: www.flickr.com/photos/state_library_south_australia/17163... No restrictions on copying or publication except acknowledging 'Messenger Press Photo' if published.